1. Dissolve 2 tbsp salt in 1 quart/liter of water.
2. Place whole or cut up veg in container, fill with salt water (leave 1-2″ head space), weigh down so veg are completely submerged, cover with tight lid or filter (e.g. coffee filter with rubber band).
3. Let ferment at room temperature (60-70°F); if using lid, loosen daily to let gases escape.
4. After 4-5 days, check for bubbles, cloudiness and a sour, vinegary aroma, then start tasting for flavor and texture. The longer it ferments, the tangier it gets.
5. Refrigerate whenever it tastes good to you.