Make the dough
A few hours ahead of time, feed the starter to get it fired up.
Use your hands to mix together:
- 3½ cups of flour
- 2 cups of water
- 1½ cups of bubbly starter
- 1½ teaspoons of salt
Cover with a towel and put in the warmest room temperature spot you can find.
Let it rise
In four hours, start checking to see how much the dough has expanded. You want the volume to about double. The warmer the room temperature, the faster it rises. Could take 8-10 hours or more if it’s fairly cool.
Baking your bread takes about 45 minutes in the oven, plus preheating time, which is 15-30 minutes depending on your oven.
- Preheat oven to 450°-500°F, with the baking dish inside so it heats up as well.
Start with a cold dish and the bread will stick solid to the bottom and sides.
- Scrape the dough into the preheated dish. Use your hands! Cover.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Turn the heat down to 400°F and remove the cover for another 15 minutes.
- Take out, remove from dish, and let it cool down for 15-30 minutes before slicing.
Slice and taste!
Notice the tanginess.
Check out the bubble structure.
Sourdough bread is super-simple. You can keep it that way, or you can always experiment, make changes, do all the things curious people do. There are endless articles and recipe variations online, tons of books. Go crazy…or keep it simple!
Either way, check the tips in the next section to get more out of the sourdough basics.