Here is everything you need to bake sourdough bread.
- big mixing bowl
- covered baking dish (Dutch oven or casserole with lid)
About the baking dish: The dough can double in volume when baked, so the dish has to be deep enough to let the bread to rise without touching the lid and burning. For a 4″ high loaf, the dough should fill the container to 2″ and be at least 4″ high. Too big a container, and you’ll have a really flat loaf.
- active sourdough starter (explained next lesson)
- flour (any all-purpose wheat)
- water (preferably non-chlorinated)
- salt (preferably no additives)
Preferably means use what you have if you don’t have a choice, things will most likely work out.